QE 514.D47 1988 Chemical Cycles in the Evolution of the Earth
QE 514.F75 2011 Frontiers in Geochemistry
QH 327.F548 2008 Fitness of the Cosmos For Life
- This is about tuning of universal constants, for the chemistry of life. Nothing significant about our particular planet, star, or solar system.
YA 510 PASK 2015 Great Calculations by Colin Pask
- Amusing but time consuming.
301.31 VAI 2013 Triumphs of Experience by George E. Vaillant
- Mildly interesting - how Harvard graduates have faired in life, multiple lifetime study
363.3251 MUE 2016 Chasing Ghosts by John Mueller and Mark G. Stewart
- The security state is far more costly, damaging, and distracting than terrorist damage
153.4 HAR 2012 50 popular beliefs that people think are true by Guy P. Harrison
- Dumb things people think when they don't think - #19 Television news is interesting, much of the rest is "television noise". No "tough" questions involving character
509.173 PRI 2011 A Professor, a President, and a Meteor The Birth of American Science, by Cathryn J. Prince (CJP)
- Benjamin Silliman investigates Weston Connecticut Meteor of 1807, promotes science (chemistry and geology) at Yale, launches "The American Journal of Science"
p63 CJP quotes chemist Jabir ibn Hayyan: "... conduct experiments ... mayest acquire knowledge" see HouseOfWisdom
- p195 CJP paraphrases Flight to Arras, 1942 by Antoine de Saint-Exupery: "you are the knot into which my soul is tied."
actual Flight to Arras quotes, 1942 Reynal and Hitchcock hardback, Beaverton Library 940.54 SAI:
- p105 chapter 12, paragraph 5: "... Man is a knot into which relationships are tied, ..."
- p183 chapter 19, paragraph ~~ 25: "Man does not die. ... Man is a knot, a web, a mesh into which relationships are tied."
- I like Prince's paraphrase better
946.02 MEN 2002 The Ornament of the World How Muslims,Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by María Rosa Menocal
- some history, mostly art, little science Umayyad Abd-al-Rahman 750 to destruction by fundamentalist Almoravid Berber mercenaries in 1009
530.11 C877w 2009 Why does E=mc2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. Clearly explains special relativity, with just enough math to quantify results like the mass-energy equation.
620 Madhavan 2015 Applied Minds - how engineers think, by Guru Madhavan.
005.7 H2829b 2016 Big Data - Does Size Matter? by Timandra Harkness. Jokey journalism, no analysis, no economics. My question going in - who pays (NSA? Sears?) for the apps we use, and what is it costing us (money, freedom, cognitive depth)? No answers here.
QC168.V55 1975 Introduction to Physical Gas Dnamics by Walter Vincenti and Charles Kruger Jr. (Stanford) ... more physics and fundamentals, good for deep understanding but not quick approximations.