ghtc2015.tex Latex file (will not "compile" without drawings, not included here)
Note July 12, 2015 - the citations in the June 3 version of the paper were poorly formatted, and two links have changes since posting the above. I have repaired most of the citation format errors, and will post a new version (along with the June 3 version) on Monday July 13. I still have not received the reviews expected on June 25.
fra0.c Used to compute SSPS antenna sizes
Woulda Shoulda Coulda
The deadline for this draft was June 3 midnight. The next morning, I'm already thinking about what I could have included.
Page 7 top left:
It is an accident of history that computers are programmed with text; Inca quipu, Mayan and old world weaving, and Jacquard machine-woven brocades were designed and coded visually and tactually. The read-only memory for the Apollo Guidance Computer was literally a rope of wires hand-woven through magnetic cores[A]. Programs may be created, compiled, and evaluated with other sensibilities; ...
[A] E. Hall, Journey to the Moon: The History of the Apollo Guidance Computer, Reston VA, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1996.
- - Education initiatives in Guatemala (including subsidies for keeping kids vaccinated and in school)
- - Uniforms and fees can suck up a lot of the money, flowing back out to Guatemala City and the west.
- - This is very interesting, complementary to server sky - Iceland feeds data from the north!
- - Electric power cooperatives (new mexico). Cooperatives require functional local democracy and common interests.
- - This might work well in rural Guatemala municipios. Guatemala City is too far away to understand local needs.
- Visual chart for energy in terawatt years, with exaggerations.
- - The solar circle is the entire world land surface covered with solar cells, which would rapidly kill the planet.
- - This assumes 100% collection, conversion, storage, and transmission efficiencies. 10% might be possible.
- When terrestrial solar advocates bring numbers, bring a calculator,
- - The uranium bubble is way too small, presumably very inefficient use of existing refined uranium.
- -. With closed cycle integral fast reactors and complete fuel burnup, very low grade ores can be used, almost no waste.
- - There are 5e13 metric tons of uranium and 2.3e14 metric tons of thorium in the earth's crust.
- At 5E16 J/T, 1TWy=3.16e19J, 632T/1TWy, that is 450e9 TWy, a mere factor of 5 to 1.5 billion larger than 90 to 300 TWy.
- - The 6e8 TW passing the earth closer than the moon is 26,000 times larger than the "SOLAR" circle shown on the screen.
- - The 3.8E14 TW emitted by the sun is 16.5 billions times larger.
- - The 2.3e4 TW circle is 500 pixels wide, so 6e8 TW is 80,000 pixels wide, and 3.8e14 TW is 640 million pixels wide.
- Properly done, space collected energy used in space does not rob the biosphere or add heat to the earth.
- - We must be very very careful - some people believe strongly in industrial-scale terrestrial solar, and resist actual analysis and empirical evidence with slanderous anger.